Tuberculosis (TB) is one of the leading causes of death for people living with HIV globally. The EATG operates a portfolio to explore and discuss issues around HIV and TB co-infection.
Overall aim: inform the EATG work on TB/HIV about the latest developments in research, treatment, prevention.
The TB portfolio prioritises discussion on scientific development of new drugs/diagnostics in order to respond to the TB/HIV epidemic, however the portfolio also covers access and pricing. It was agreed that drug development has no specific angle for TB/HIV co-infection; attention will be given to access, approval of drugs, and to new regimens. EATG now contributes to identifying gaps in research and will advocate for missing research points.
- To inform the EATG membership and other community advocates on issues related to TB/HIV treatment, care and research with a special focus on Eastern Europe and Central Asia;
- To develop a long-term strategy for EATG on HIV/TB co-infection & treatment advocacy, based on a community perspective
- To focus on new strategies for treatment and prevention of TB/HIV co-infection given related scientific/clinical/regulatory issues.
- Installation of a new TB/HIV Advisory Committee composed by EATG members with expertise and interest in TB/HIV;
- Organisation of a multi-stakeholder meeting in the first half of 2017. The purpose of the meeting is to better inform EATG and other community advocates on TB/HIV treatment, care and research advocacy;
- Collaboration with stakeholders on TB advocacy, and follow up for the meeting recommendations;
- Development and implementation of a workplan and strategy on TB/HIV for EATG.
- Key research/advocacy priorities within TB/HIV co-infection identified;
- EATG members and partners will increase their capacity to get further involved in TB drugs & diagnostics development and access advocacy;
- Long-term strategy for EATG on HIV/TB co-infection & treatment advocacy developed and implemented.
Contact person: Evgenia Maron (EATG membership) at email@example.com